Puzzled about wireless WEP

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 17:15:16 MST 2006

On 9/1/06, FoulDragon at aol.com <FoulDragon at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 31.Aug.2006 23.39.29 US Mountain Standard Time,
> lthielster at gmail.com writes:
>
> >Today I replaced my old Linksys 802.11b wireless AP/router/4 port switch
> with a Linksys >WRT54G (sorry, thought I had bought the GL but...).  I
> configured
> it to use 128 bit WEP >instead of the 64 bit I had been using.
>
> :looks at his own WRT54G setup page:
>
> The 128-bit mode is really just 104-bit... it only accepts a 26-digit key.

As I suspected.

-Did you set the router's 'incoming MAC filter'?  Maybe it's refusing your
> card because you tightened the filter too tight.

the incoming MAC filter is off

-Maybe the software is set to seek out the 'easiest target' network... one
> of
> my desktops used to keep trying to hook into a network several houses
> away,
> with a 8% signal level, because it was unencrypted.

no other wireless net is visible from my house.

I know 802.11b can work... my WRT54G talks happily to my prehistoric (early
> 2003) Belkin 802.11b PCMCIA card.
>
> Does it work when the WEP is turned off?

It did with the old AP and continues to work with two other nets which are
open (if I take the computer to where they are).  It also worked at the
installfest which I do not think was open but I do not recall what the setup
was there and whether it used some form of WEP.

And lastly, is it perhaps a reception thing?  I get *terrible* coverage out
> of my WRT54G:  the PC in the same room gets 80-100%, but one wall/one
> floor/about 10 metres away,. we're down to maybe 30 percent.

signal is 100% as the setup location is in the same room as and only a few
feet away from the AP.  I also tried moving further away to no avail.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss