Samba setup assistance

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Fri Sep 1 13:48:30 MST 2006

I've always used this approach where possible as well.  It's not so much about wanting to shuffle servers around, although I did use this technique to transfer a small corporate network from a class-C to a subnet of the private class-A (10.x.x.x) once.  It's about being able to accommodate changes to infrastructure, such as a DNS server change, new firewalls, VLAN changes, etc...
When DHCP is used for all systems, then things like DNS addresses and default gateways are provided by DHCP, and needn't be hand-configured on every machine, allowing them to change without breaking the whole infrastructure.  I know at least one mega-corporation that uses universal DHCP for exactly this reason, so they can modify infrastructure and reorganize subnets without having to touch each of several thousand servers.
I know there are other tools available to help with this in a Linux and/or Unix environment, but it's not so easy if over 80% of your servers are running Windows (common in large corporations)...

==Joseph++