Free items of dubious value

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 01:03:27 MST 2006

I figured I'd offer here before I tried Craigslist, as they're things of
potential interest to Unix geeks.

-Samsung ML-1210 laser printer.  Linux-compatible, USB or parallel.  It has a
feed problem, where it may take several (as in 5-6) cycles of "fail to feed,
pull the paper out, reinsert the paper, let it try again" to pull a page
through.  Probably under 1500 pages on it, still on the original starter cartridge,
but probably not for much longer.

Also I have two boxes I picked up which, according to the label, have
remanufactured cartridges for this printer.  I can't tell if these are full, empty,
or what.

If you have another ML-1210 and need spare parts, or think you can fix the
pickup, enjoy.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/22423#1 may be relevant.

I'm replacing it with a used LaserJet 5 which dims the lights when you power
it on and sounds like the end of the world when you dare to actually print...
wait, are those problems? :D

-Plastic shell from a SGI Iris Indigo.  I've been using it as a footrest.
Might make a cool cabinet or case mod project, or if you have an Indigo with a
damaged shell.  This one does have the typical branding of an ASU surplus
product-- crayon marks and asset tag.  I've been experimenting with removing the
crayon marks on other ex-surplus goods with pencil eraser... results were good,
except the abrasion can sometimes clean up patches to the point where they're
lighter than the surrounding plastic.

-C.Itoh CIT-101 dumb terminal.  Supposedly a VT100-alike; at one point I had
it hooked to a port and displaying top... like one of those 4x20 LCDs but
better.

-DEC VAXStation 3100.  No cables, no peripherals, no nothing.

I suspect this could work with the dumb terminal, but 1) I have no way to
build an OS install on it, unless Minix is now available for VAX and 2) I'd need
to assemble a cable and those damn DEC plugs are nonstandard.

Configuration:  One floppy drive, two of the 100Mb SCSI discs, a "4M memory
expansion card" and an "8 planes graphics card".

When powered up, the rear-diagnostics lights flash and settle at 7, 5, 4 on.

Please email me directly, don't clog the list. :)