Drive Recovery Software

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 13:30:39 MST 2006

On 11/30/06, Patrick Fleming, EA <plug at rwcinc.net> wrote:

> If you are just trying to copy the data from a failing drive to a good
> drive, dd_rescue is a pretty decent tool. It's on Knoppix, should be on
> other live cds. dd_rescue works even when dd fails.

1) Having never seen this I wondered if it worked differently than using the
"noerror" option to dd which makes it not stop on errors. But then I
presumed dd still writes an output block.  Does anyone know if that is true?

2) I was intriguged so loaded Knoppix 5 to look at it. There was no man
page, but dd_rescue --help gave enough info to intrigue me.  So I did a web
search and found http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/ which is the
author's site for it.  I also found
http://www.oreillynet.com/sysadmin/blog/2004/07/save_your_data_from_the_click.htmlwhich
mentions a front end for dd_rescue that sounds intriging.
Unfortunately the link in the article does not work, but
http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/download/index.en.html does work.
NOTE: I have not tried this and have to run out for some errands now.  Would
love to hear from anyone who HAS tried it.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss