sleeping processes and swap

Michael Havens bmike101 at cox.net
Tue Nov 28 07:08:05 MST 2006

lshw? List Hardware? That's a new one! I always thought there was a
command like this! Thanks for sharing. I had to apt-get it but here is
what the relevant section says.....

      *-memory
           physical id: 21
           slot: System board or motherboard
           size: 384MB
           capacity: 512MB
         *-bank:0
              physical id: 0
              slot: BANK_0
              size: 64MB
         *-bank:1
              physical id: 1
              slot: BANK_1
              size: 64MB
         *-bank:2
              physical id: 2
              slot: BANK_2
              size: 64MB
         *-bank:3
              physical id: 3
              slot: BANK_3
              size: 64MB
         *-bank:4
              physical id: 4
              slot: BANK_4
              size: 128MB
         *-bank:5
              physical id: 5
              slot: BANK_5

Hmmmmm... looking at the output it seems as if I had a dishonest salesman!
I bought 3 128MB chips (so he said). I don't know what this 'slot 5' is.
All of the RAM slots have something in them and there are only 3. It must
be something to do with the manufacturing and onboard memory.

I really appreciate your guys help.

3852645 KB =  total memory
768 M = system memory + banks 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Is my system really not
accessing all of it's memory?

bmike1 at 1[~]$ top
top - 07:04:21 up 48 min,  2 users,  load average: 3.86, 2.94, 2.46
Tasks:  86 total,   4 running,  82 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 66.4% us, 29.6% sy,  0.0% ni,  0.3% id,  0.3% wa,  2.9% hi,  0.5%
si
Mem:    385264k total,   356868k used,    28396k free,    14972k buffers
Swap:  1025000k total,        0k used,  1025000k free,   172972k cached

:~)MIKE(~: