sleeping processes and swap

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Nov 27 08:28:30 MST 2006

Michael Havens wrote:
> I tell ya', if there is a way to do this it would make all computers
> lightning fast. I mean..... according to ps -i less than 5% of my memory
> is used by active processes..... hmmmmmm..... I'll investigate 'man swap'
> and get back to you with any findings...... no finding to be had....
> bummer! Google didn't even help any.
>

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 07:06:56 -0700, Michael Havens <bmike101 at cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to force something into swap as a way to free up some
>> memory? I mean processes 3 to about 7000 are ALL idle. Or else am I
>> thinking wrong?

Many processes are idle *almost* all the time, but *do* wake up and run.
You blink, you miss it. Put them in swap and your system slows down.

There are three methods that have stood the test of time: (1) get more
memory, (2) run fewer processes, and (3) both.

If your system has been up for a while (a day, a week, whatever) run top
and sort by total cpu time (not current %). Stuff with 0:00 time after
days or weeks MAY be something you should turn off. *MAY*! You must
check out whether it can be safely disabled or not! ;)

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |