CCNA in the Linux world

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 15:42:35 MST 2006

On 11/22/06, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> Randy Melder wrote:
> > thanks for the reply. :-)
> >
> > I'm not really concerned with how this certification would improve my
> > overall skill set.
> >
> > What I want to know is what the perception of it is among Linux and IT
> > professionals in general on this list.
>
> I think it's a plus overall. You DO learn things, and it shows some
> commitment.
>
> I am wary of people who wave their certs around too much. There are some
> few people who get the certs only to put on their resumes. They cram
> like mad, get the cert, and then forget all about it (while cramming for
> the next cert). This isn't everyone. Some people get a lot out of the
> process and come out better for it.
>
> So... you still need to figure out which type of person you have.
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

I don't know anything about this certification,
nor A+, nor most of the others;
But just a comment;  [my 0.02]
Once someone has that (or any) certification
[on a resume], I think it would be very reasonable
in an interview, that the future employer might ask
something like,
"give me some examples of stuff that you learned
 (or had to already know) for this certification;
 with emphasis on the parts [if any] that you think
 might be helpful in a job situation".
This is not just a way of asking the person about what
a given certification "means";  it also is a good opportunity
to see how the applicant being interviewed talks, when given
a fairly "open ended" question, where one can emphasize
technical stuff, or a business point of view, or any
combination.  An opportunity to use some jargon, but
presumably with some effort to (determine, and) keep it
within the range of vocabulary that will be understandable
to the person doing the listening (/asking). - and, a
question that might be less welcome, if the certified
person was one of those resume hounds who tended to
"then forget all about it (while cramming for the next cert)."
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org