OT: Eagle project seeking computer donations

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue May 23 07:50:15 MST 2006

der.hans said:

> The orphanage is in .mx?

Yes.

> Eagle Scouts are a 501c3? If so, they might be able to get computers from
> AzStrut.
>
> Maybe also from the computer non-profit at SCC that RedSeven sponsors.

The troop's sponsoring organization is a church.  I'm sure that is
different than a 501c3 but it is definately non-profit.

> OO.o2
> the GIMP
> Blender
> GAIM ( if they allow instant messengers )
> PDF Creator
>
> We should have a list of good Free Software for win32.

Needs to all be in spanish.  I know OO.o2 can do that but I don't know
about the others.

Interesting note about languages: I went to research how to make Windows
run in multiple languages.  (Please correct me if you see my understanding
is wrong.)  This is according to
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx

- First, to use another language on Windows 2000 or newer, you must aquire
the Multilingual User Interface (MUI) software.  That means spending
money.
- The MUI is only available through the volume license program.  ie. Big
businesses.
- The MUI will not install on Windows XP Home, only WinXP Professional.

So, we will have much difficulty taking donated computers with WinXP Home
and getting them to work in spanish.  The alternative to all the above is
to go buy the localized spanish version of WinXP, one for each computer.

The bottom line appears to be that you cannot convert the licensed
software from one language to another with giving money to MS.  Great.  It
is probably true that talking to the right people at MS could end up with
donated solutions but the troop only has a few weeks now.  Don't know if
there is time to set that up.

This project's leaders did not know the above and are now very
discouraged.  I'll have to show the Ubuntu!

> Heck KDE is supposed to be available soonish for win32, right?

Yes, as some point but I don't think it is easily or win32 native yet.

Alan