hyper threading and memory usage

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Tue May 16 21:15:42 MST 2006

I just got a hyperthreaded computer and I'm noticing that it doesn't handle
memory as well as my other machines.
I haven't been doing anything different, infact I ghosted my hdd to the new
machine, so everything is identicle, except I built the kernel for SMP.
It only has 512MB right now, but so do my other machines that do about the
same amount of work.

The only difference I notice is the HT'd machine will begin swapping much
faster than the other machines. Then it gets really slow.

I'm not a big fan of HT to begin with as I'd rather have dual-core or just
dual cpu, but is this typical? Or is something wrong?

Nathan

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations