Hiring Computer Techs.

Wagner, Steven G digital9ja at cox.net
Tue May 16 15:12:04 MST 2006

I work at an integration center similar to Avnet and have an A+. With the
instructions we're provided and the troubleshooter/engineering support we
have, I don't really think you _need_ an A+ but I was of the opinion that
there's really no reason why I shouldn't get it (year old book from Mesa
Public Lib and ~$300). It's relatively cheap (considering it never needs to
be renewed) and proves not only your basic understanding of the concepts
surrounding computer systems, but also that you are capable of setting a
goal, working a study plan and seeing it through to the end.

My company brought in a couple of prof's from MCC and did free A+ cert
classes for all techs and engineers that didn't have them. Then they
provided vouchers for everyone that passed the class to take the actual exam
for free. I heard of one guy that failed the exam (though passed the class)
and I _think_ one engineer took and passed the actual A+. Everyone else was
apparently satisfied with their corny little non-exportable MCC achievement
awards and never even bothered to go take the real exam. I think that's kind
of lame, considering how much money the company probably spent on bringing
the prof's down there and setting aside resources for the lab exercises,
classroom, etc. I don't really care one way or another and as far as I know
management never expressed any requirement for anyone to have to take the
exam if they took part in the classes. I suppose they probably assumed
everyone would want to get free A+'s and that it would be unnecessary to
force them.

Anyway, I've worked besides guys with MCSE's and other expensive certs and
they've mostly forgotten everything they learned in their $10K bootcamps
since they passed their exams. Probably their fault for not applying their
knowledge more frequently, at least at home or a lab somewhere.

I tend to agree that one doesn't need to know much about the internals of a
computer to write usable code (i.e.- Visual Basic, Javascript, etc.), but
that a programmer who has a deeper understanding of, say, the stack/heap or
solid networking principles will be able to utilize a lot more powerful
languages (C, perl, etc) and will probably write tighter, more secure and
more elegant code.