20 questions about Windows Vista

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon May 15 22:55:22 MST 2006

Normally, I wouldn't post up about Windows but I thought that this might
interest some...

http://informationweek.com/

See the link to 20 questions about Windows Vista (I didn't link it
directly since it attaches a session_id). This was the thing that I
found interesting...

20. Can a dual-boot PC be set up for Linux and Vista?

At the moment, it appears that it will be exceedingly difficult, or even
impossible, to set up a dual-boot PC with both Linux and Vista on it.
That's because of Vista's new hardware-based encryption feature called
BitLocker Drive Encryption, which functions as a kind of data repository
that protects data in case a PC is stolen or lost.

BitLocker Drive Encryption makes it difficult or impossible to exchange
the data required by a dual-boot system, says security guru Bruce
Schneir. "You could look at BitLocker as anti-Linux because it
frustrates dual-boot," he said at a panel at the Infosec conference in
London.

However, not all versions of Vista use BitLocker. At the moment, it's
unclear if those other versions will be able to dual-boot between Linux
and Vista.

Craig