Virtual Networking

Empty plug at emptiedout.com
Thu May 4 08:33:12 MST 2006

IF you have a switch that supports it, and if your NIC and distro
support, you might be able to use a vlan to accomplish this task. VLAN
the home ports on one subnet, the office on the other, and the bastion
host on  both.

That's about as good(security-wise) as you will get without a second
interface.

~Ben

Michael Vanecek wrote:
> I have a little computer shop and would like to separate my family
> network from the shop network so I don't have to worry about virus
> infections across the network and whatnot. One option is to add another
> NIC to the system - but I'm out of slots. Another option is to stick on
> a USB network adapter. However, isn't it possible to assign 2 network
> addresses to a single NIC? As in, the physical interface being
> 192.168.192.* and the virtual IP being a different network address
> altogether - allowing me to effectively isolate it while allowing both
> networks to access the gateway address 192.168.192.1? Any pointers to
> documentation would be greatly helpful. I use Gentoo as my gateway and
> firewall.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.
For you, it would just be a really long boast."
	-Tara
http://www.emptiedout.com