permission denied into $home

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Sat Mar 25 22:45:18 MST 2006

In article <200603260012.31372.bmike101 at cox.net> you write:
> oh my garshk! I thought 666 were good enough.... but what initially
> caused the problem (i wonder)? Would 760 work?

Typically the default is 755 for directories, and 644 for files.
If they shouldn't be read by others, 700 for directories, and
600 for files.

For directories,
	r => readable, meaning the directory is listable, like with ls
	w => writable, meaning new files can be created in the directory
	x => searchable, meaning the directory can be used as as part
		of a pathname

Also for directories, it really doesn't make sense to set the r or w bits
without also having the x bit set.  However, there are times where it
is useful to set the x bit without setting r and w.

-Dale