looking for open source shopping cart/ecomm site

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Sat Mar 18 10:06:44 MST 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 11:24 pm, Josh Coffman kindly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I've got a friend that is looking at starting a
> small business and would like my help. So I'm looking
> for a good open source project for a basic online
> store.
>
>   I googled open source shoppping cart, but the first
> results I tried weren't really free. In fact, ones I
> looked at weren't even open source.
>
>   Send any ideas.

There's something else your friend needs to consider, and that's the new
requirement for shopping carts to be PCI-compliant. Since last August, all
businesses that accept credit cards, whether they be brick-and-mortar
storefronts or online businesses, no matter how big or small, need to be
PCI-compliant. That means they need to pass a test by a service such as Scan
Alert.

If the business processes or stores CC information on a computer, that
computer needs to pass the test. The server and firewalls need to pass the
test, and if they're hosted on a web host's server, the web host and their
server need to be PCI-compliant.

They're not enforcing this for small businesses yet but they can, and possibly
will within the next year. If a business isn't PCI compliant, Mastercard and
Visa can suspend their ability to accept credit cards and can also issue some
pretty hefty fines.

I like my web host a lot but they aren't PCI-compliant. The only affordable
host I've found that is totally PCI-compliant is precisionweb.net . They
offer a free shopping cart hosted on their server. Not open source, but it
will work for my needs. I'll probably be switching to them in the next month.

Siri Amrit
--
Tigerflag Natural Perfumery, LLC
www.tigerflag.com