Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 Upgrade Experience

Jeff Garland jeff at crystalclearsoftware.com
Sun Jun 4 21:17:26 MST 2006

Wagner, Steven G wrote:
> I'm starting to think that Ubuntu is like the windoze of Linux...other than
> being really, really, really easy can anyone tell me why it's better than,
> say, Gentoo, SUSE or Debian? Does it come with magic drivers or something
> you can't get with other distros?

It probably isn't really any better -- at the end it's going to depend
on what you value.  I've used SUSE and it's fine distro too, but I
didn't have to install it.  I value my time -- I hate having to mess
around with installation stuff.  All OS's stink w.r.t installs as far as
I'm concerned.  Can't think of how many hours I've spent messing with
installs/drivers/configuration in my life. Sure, I can sling commands
with the best of them, but it just gets me mad -- I'd rather be doing
something productive with my time. Linux can be especially bad -- it
might take several hours of googling and experimenting to find some
obscure command to put into a config file to make things work.

And at the end, I'm still not 100% satisfied with any OS I've used -- I
guess one day I'll have to go back and try a MAC. On Ubuntu, I still
can't figure out how to make the shell work correctly with Xemacs, and
there are nits as well....

Now I'm feeling extra fortunate given the experience of some others...as
I said, it's a fleeting moment of Euphoria...

Jeff