gnucash vs Quickbooks

Carl Parrish lists at pcl-consulting.com
Sun Feb 26 19:49:01 MST 2006

Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:

>I've never used either, but need to learn Quickbooks for a side-job. I don't
>have a Windows partition, but I can get gnucash. If I learned how to do the
>basics in gnucash, do y'all think I could find may way around Quickbooks?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Siri Amrit

Not really. The accounting princples are pretty much the same but
gnucash is double entry, quickbooks is some weird hybrid. I'm using
quickbooks online now, used gnucash for about 4 years. Other than the
fact that they both enter finacial info and the name of the reports are
generally the same they are very differnt tools. You can get quickbook
running on Linux with CrossOver (proably with Wine as well). My personal
.02 cents , if you know what you're doing gnucash is *way* faster
(meaning you can get what you need done faster) but if you don't know
something quickbooks is a lot more forgiving (and has *tons* of online
help etc...).