A Linux Cafe In Phoenix

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 19:47:01 MST 2006

> ----
> I don't particularly care for kinkbucks idea since they are already
> being done by very deep pockets who could expand their offerings fairly
> simply.

They will not expand into open source.  Those deep pockets are billy G's
pockets, and Verizon's pockets. They arent offering Linux or VOIP services.
Meanwhile, people want to use Linux and don't necessarily know where to go
or how to get in touch with people who do.

Kinko's is a print/copy center that has computers for rent. The
> computers seem to represent a very small portion of their income as
> computers are rather cheap these days.
>
> Starbucks is a premium coffee outlet and it's not likely you can do much
> of a dent there. Computers and coffee hardly seem to be the draw.

  I wasn't so much suggesting Kinkos+ Starbucks explicitly.

If it's javageek that you are doing, then you have to either live with
> the geek stigma or transcend it - not an easy task.

  The geek stigma is certainly hard to deal with.  Linux people are
notoriously independent and asocial.  Maybe thats why it doesn't sell.  Im
not necessarily against the barrista idea.  ASMOF the whole barrista
profession has become something of its own society here in Phoenix.
Apparently there are 'barrista rights' and the 'customer-barrista
relationship'.  Soon I expect a national organization for barrista college
girls.  They demand the right to wear skimpy clothing, demand tips in return
for superficial conversation, and rebates on body piercings and tattoos.  Im
very glad that weve outsourced our scientific community as this gives us the
chance to develop our counter-help skills.

I would think that a Data Doctors kind of thing, hard drive cleanup
> (windows virus/spyware) and coffee while you wait would be cool if done
> by a Linux enthusiast.

  The general idea here is offer a general service framework to independent
OSS developers...

 -josh