Active Directory and Kerberos authentication - Help?! (fwd)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 15 15:49:48 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 13:33 -0700, Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu wrote:
> Ok so I purchased a new server with SuSE EL9 and I am trying to get it to act
> as a samba server in my AD.  And while I can get it to join the domain just
> fine and server up shares with no problem, I still need to get the whole SSI
> thing to work (Single Sign In)
>
> First thing I need to do is get my Kerberos to work.  I can tell it is not
> because when I try
> # kinit user at domain.local
> I get
> kinit: krb5_get_init_creds: unable to reach any KDC in realm cornerstone.local
>
> In the Kerberos client set up (using YaST) my domain is CORNERSTONE and my
> realm is CORNERSTONE.LOCAL and the KDC server address is the IP of the Win2003
> SB Server.
>
> And that just about puts me at the edge of my krb experience since prior to
> this it has always "Just Worked".  But then again I never tried putting a
> windows box in the krb mix.
>
> Any thought?
>
> And getting rid of windows is not a viable option ;)
----
It's always a viable option, it may not be an option because someone has
ruled it out.

are you using the same dns servers that the rest of the network is
using? I don't think you will be able to get cornerstone.local to
resolve can you?

# host cornerstone.local
# host cornerstone.com
# host kerberos.cornerstone.com

do any of these resolve?

I presume that you are also using...

kinit user at CORNERSTONE.LOCAL
or
kinit user at CORNERSTONE.COM

or whatever is currently defined by your local dns

Craig