?: Cox vs QWEST

Terence Chang peanutlen at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 16:56:16 MST 2006

I just recently switch from Cox(internet/Analog TV/Phone) to Qwest(Chioce Internet/TV/Phone). I was Qwest customer before I switch to Cox.

I am living in Gilbert which has Qwest so-called (VDSL?) which support TV signal. I don't watch TV that much, so the number of Channel doens't make that much difference until I am Qwest customer again.

This is the reason I switch back from COX to Qwest:

1. Almost the same price. Cox is more expesive now.
2. Now I can get 121 channels on Qwest while Cox only give less than 30(Analog)
3. Qwest Internet seem to be slower (~2.5MB u/d stream) but stable.
4. The evening internet speed is so limited, since most of my neighbors are using Cox.
5. The phone quality seem to be higher in the evening. Cox seem to be using the same bandwidth for both internet and phone (Don't quote on me).

The reasons I hate Qwest and still hate it:
1. They claim the speed is 3MB u/d both, but test as 2.5MB using their speed tester, which is against Qwest's own network (not fair). The sprint speed test is 0.8MB, while CNET speed test is 1.3MB.
2. The DNS server seem to be up and down or not be able to ping at all (up to once a week)
3. The TV signal is poor. Seeing a lot of zigzag stuff.
4. Suddently no connection (one a month) but recover in 40 and less minutes.
5. I can NOT switch TV channel using my TV remote. Can't use picture in picture.

The reason I like Quest better now:
1. The customer servide has been approved.
2. The faster internet speed. I used to ge only 256KB u/d.
3. I got caller ID included on the TV screen. Cox ask for extra $$ on digital TV only.
4. Shorter internet connection recover time.

My 2 cents.

Terence Chang