SCSI-3 drives on a SCSI-1 bus

eric© ericlists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 23:06:49 MST 2006

My servers (HP 9000 A class) have SCSI interfaces on them, supporting two
single ended SCSI-1 devices internally (according to the manual). I have
only a really basic understanding of SCSI. From what I'm reading, given the
proper adapter, which I'm finding on eBay for less than $10 shipped, I
should be able to attach up to a Ultra160 SCSI-3 SCA connector drive to the
bus, assuming it's not of LVD design, correct?

I know that the drives will be limited to the 5MB/sec transfer rate of the
SCSI-1 bus. I was intending on using one of these machines as a file server
internally for the MP3s, as well as set up a streaming/jukebox type server
so that I would have access to my music while away from home (I have well
over 80GB of MP3s on hard drives now, not counting all the stuff still on
CD/DVD, so standard MP3 players are not an option, and I don't feel the
overwhelming need to drop a few hundred on a 60GB ipod).  Haven't really
looked into specific applications to handle this, altho the servers are
running Debian Linux currently.

A)Being that 75GB Ultra160 drives are only $10-$15 more expensive than
30-50GB SCSI-2 drives on eBay, I figured I might as well pick up the
bigger/faster drive now. Can always transfer to a newer server as I aquire
them. Am I just tossing money down the drain with this plan? Would I be
better off picking up a couple smaller SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 drives?

B)Will a 180MHz HPPA-RISC server with a SCSI-1 bus be able to handle this
kind of load?

_eric