Is Top "Real-Time"?

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Tue Dec 12 08:34:12 MST 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 20:57, Dan Lund wrote:
> sa & sar are totally different statistic generators.
> They can't be compared to top any more than mrtg can be compared to
> ifconfig. The jist is that real time means that it displays exactly what is
> going on in the kernel process list at every given change.  I don't
> think anything can ever do that and still able to be comprehended in a
> decent amount of time.

exactley, if you run top -d .0 it's about as close to real time as it will
ever be, and it's almost incomprehensible. Atleast on my machine, you can't
tell what's happening because it's all moving so fast...

nathan

> --Dan
>
> On 12/11/06, George Toft <george at georgetoft.com> wrote:
> > My $0.02: You are picking nits.
> >
> > Compared to sa & sar, top is almost instant.
> >
> > George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
> > 623-203-1760
> >
> > Matt Nesteruk wrote:
> > > In my post to bmike i stated that "top is not Real-Time".
> > >
> > > Edward Norton has brought to my attention that the Top man page states:
> > > "The *top* program provides a dynamic real-time view of a running
> > > system. It can display *system* summary information as well as a list
> > > of  *tasks* currently being managed by the Linux kernel."
> > >
> > > The reason i say top is not "Real-Time" can bee seen as the program
> > > runs.  The clock in the upper right corner is delayed.
> > >
> > > Edward argued that by applying the "-d 1" argument that the clock would
> > > update every 1 second.
> > >
> > > This is better, but it is still not "Real-Time".  Page re-generation is
> > > biased on a delay clock, not changes in the system tasks.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> > >
> > > -Matt

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations

      _   _____   ______  ___   ___   ______
     | | | ____| / _____| | |   | |  / _____|
  _  | | |  ___| \____  \ | |   | |  \____  \
  \___/  |_____| |_____/  |_______|  |_____/

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
          < Romans 10:9 KJV >