Recovering from Hard DIsk Failure

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 23:42:08 MST 2006

Try looking in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
Data\Microsoft\something (I don't use OE but I think that it might be
apparent there).  Also do'nt forget to look at other users (like
Default or Owner if you don't see the stuff there).

On 12/9/06, Richard Wilson <relw at mchsi.com> wrote:
> First a thanks to all who recommended I use Bacula to backup my home
> systems.  My wife's laptop hard drive failed after less than 2 years and
> had to be replaced.  Even though I haven't convinced her (yet) to use
> Linux, I came out like a Knight in Shining Armor because I had complete
> backups of her system -- with a little encouragement, the Bacula Windows
> client (with a Linux Server) worked like a champ.
>
> It doesn't have a native bare-metal restore for Windows, but will
> happily restore EVERYTHING to C:\tmp\bacula-restore\whatever from the
> last full backup.
>
> I had to reinstall XP from scratch using an SP1 XP Home Edition OEM CD
> followed by the XP Pro upgrade, followed by 70 odd updates including SP2
> from Microsoft, then more updates... I think the total number of updates
> was close to 86... I lost track.  I did have to go through some fun with
> Bacula to get it to restore -- I actually had to read the manual, but it
> worked great.  BTW -- Bacula won't let you restore Windows files to
> Linux...  I tried that before I let it run the "restore everything" job
> (I had a much shorter list of files to restore, but my Bacula catalog
> for the last full backup of my wife's system had been purged, so I ended
> with the restore everything).
>
> My wife is now happily working with the latest version of Open Office
> and all her recovered documents, and asked me if I could restore the
> contents of her Outlook Express folders.  I have so far been unable to
> figure out WHERE OE keeps its folders.  I did recover her address book
> -- it imported nicely, but finally sent a note to MicroSlough explaining
> what happened and asking them, "what are the names of the files in which
> OE keeps its folders?"  They've sent me back a nice note, asking me to
> supply them with my Windows Processor ID and other information and
> hinting that I "might" need to go to their second level support (and pay
> for that, of course).  The processor ID will not only tell them that my
> copy of XP is legit (it is) but if I should be getting my support from
> HP (the OEM) or them.  I don't yet know how this will fall out -- HP
> supplied the XP Home Edition, and I bought the upgrade to XP Pro...
>
> If any of you know where OE keeps it's folders, I'd be grateful if you'd
> pass it along...
>
> I thought I'd pass along the fun I've had dealing with the "dark side"...
> it's SO much nicer to deal exclusively with Open Source...  I haven't as
> yet been able to convince my wife (or kids) to convert entirely to Linux --
> there are too many games they have that only work under Windows.  I have
> managed to get a few of them working under Wine, but most don't.  If anyone
> would like a Wine challenge, try to get "Barbie's Undersea Adventure" working.
> It won't work under XP -- only Win 98 or 95 (it uses Direct X version 3).
> Try explaining obsolescence to a 6 year old ("but Daddy, it's one of my
> [...]

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss