Cost of running KDE apps with Gnome

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue Dec 5 20:07:59 MST 2006

Dazed_75 wrote:
> 1) Might I lose any functionality running the KDE apps under Gnome?

Not really.  Quite a bit of the inter-application communication issues
have been worked out.  There will be some UI differences and depending
on your configuration, you may also lose some associations.  For
instance, if you have Gnome configured to use, say, Firefox for web
links but KDE is configured to use Konqueror, then when you click on a
link in a KDE app, it'll pop up Konqueror, not Firefox.  Some (most?)
distributions may have workarounds for this where they set the default
associations for both environments to the same.

That's pretty minor, though.

> 2) Are there definitive caveats or known problems doing so (or a list
> somewhere)?

Nope.

> 3) Is there any way to get an idea of how badly resources are being wasted?

Does it matter to you?  If you don't notice any performance hit, then
you could make the argument that none of the resources are being wasted.
 Really, the only time when things like that matter is if you have an
older or underpowered system where memory, CPU, and disk resources are
tight.

> > Specific example: Comparing AmaroK to Sound Juicer is like comparing a
> 67 Corvette to a Model T.  But when I was looking through preferences I
> got a report that there had been an error running/accessing/??? aRTs
> (sic) for AmaroK.  I ended up turning it aff and I can't even find out
> what it is.

Amarok doesn't do any sound processing itself.  Instead, it uses
whatever the underlying sound system is on the computer.  I believe most
distributions have it configured to use xine-lib or maybe gstreamer.
Arts was the KDE sound system for KDE2 and sorta for KDE3.  I don't know
that it's really configured on any distro anymore, though.  It
definitely won't be part of KDE4.

All that to say that if Amarok works for you, then you can safely turn
off that error message.

Kurt