ViewSonic VA2012wb

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Wed Aug 30 08:54:02 MST 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 23:09, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Anyone else noticing that the DVI connection isn't working? I'm at a
> lost to what the problem is I've tried changing monitors (I ended up
> buying two VA2012wb, one on a computer that just has VGA). My graphic
> card has a DVI connection with a VGA converter using the converter works
> fine. so I don't think the problem is the graphics card. I've changed
> cords, that doesn't work. I have to assume its a xorg conf somewhere
> because if I stay in run level 3 DVI works fine. but as soon as I try to
> turn the GUI on I get *nothing* on the view screen. Even if I reboot. I
> don't remember exactly what drastic thing I had to do to reset it and
> get back to runlevel 3 but that would work. I can't really think of any
> reason why I *need* DVI but since my card supports it and the monitors
> are supposed to I feel like I should be using it. Also I've given up on
> multi distros on one computer as well. I was going to try to use Xen to
> get FC5 and openSuse 10.1 running on the same box. I ended up just
> running FC5 on my box and using FreeNX to run Suse 10.1 on my wife's so
> I can play with both from my desktop.

Try booting with the SUSE 10.1 CD/DVD and see if it can configure X while
using DVI.  If it works, then you know it's the xorg.conf (which, admittedly,
is likely).

As a data point, I am reasonably sure that I got my VA2012wb working via DVI
with SuSE 9.3.  I am not completely sure because the only Linux box that I
have with DVI outputs is a normally head-less system and I don't remember for
sure if I tested it with this monitor or the Dell LCD or both.  In any case,
I don't have any xorg.conf for it.