OT: Cellphone Forums?

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Tue Aug 29 07:30:46 MST 2006

Kurt Granroth wrote:
> This post is extremely off-topic, but since there is such a diverse mix of
> knowledge here, I thought I'd ask.  I am trying to find some forum where I
> can ask questions related to cellphones.  I'm usually pretty good at finding
> answers to any random question via search engines, but I'm coming up short on
> nearly anything related to cellphones.
>
> Sample questions:
>  Could I buy a random unlocked GSM phone (like a Motorola RAZR v3i) from eBay
> and use it with the T-Mobile To Go pre-paid plan?  Or does the pre-paid plan
> require use of specific phones?
>
> If you know of a forum where questions like this are both appropriate and
> intelligently answered, let me know!
>
> Kurt

Fairly sure the answer is yes. I've personally stuck my cingular sim in
other unlocked phones and it works just fine. But a good friend of mine
buys unlocked GSM phones on ebay and uses them with t-mobile on the
regular plans.  I thought the pre paid versions weren't any different,
just different in the way it works on the billing end. They are still
GSM so it should work.

On another note, seems like when you buy the unlocked phones from people
on ebay the seller is usually some cell phone saavy type. At least all
the ones my friends have gotten are from somebody who either owns one of
these places or works at one. Just post them the question saying you
want to use your pre-paid t-mobile sim in it and they will probably be
able to give you a definitive answer before you bid on it. But like I
said before, I'm pretty sure it'll work just fine.

I was just about to buy a cable to unlock my phone so I could use all of
the functionality of it. It really kills me inside that these companies
ruin portions of the phone so they can sell the functionality back to
you as if they were doing you some service.

-Mike