X-Terminal Question

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sun Aug 27 11:42:28 MST 2006

Eric,

Sorry about that.

The configuration parameter in the file sterminal.conf called "xsession" has a
default value of "/etc/X11/Xsession". Change that to "startkde" and that will
cause the server to start a kde session for that s-terminal login. You can
put any "start an x-session" parameter here as long as the server can start
that type of session.

There is also a textbox in the s-terminal login panel called "Command" where
you can override this setting for a particular login. Not very intuitive, but
useful.

Finally, each user can have a ~/.sterminal.conf file and have a user specific
value for the xsession.

I didn't think to include this information because it was so specific to
s-terminal. My bad.

However, s-terminal is a neat script for setting up a simple x-terminal that
tunnels through ssh. The login parameters are also sent via ssh. Without a
lot of fuss, I was able to set up a wireless s-terminal using an old Pentium
233 MHz laptop. I used a bare bones Debian installation with ssh and
x-windows-core. It is blazing fast compared to running kde locally on the
laptop.

Information on S-Terminal can be found at
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/stirling/computergeek/xterminal.html (the
version I am using) and
http://ayesha.phys.virginia.edu/~bryan/projects/knoppix/sterminal/.

Cheers!