OpenSUSE 10.1

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Mon Aug 14 21:54:57 MST 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 09:54, Nathan England wrote:
> I just installed openSUSE 10.1 and located the installation source from
> novell's site. However, the zend thing still says no updates available and
> when I try to use the system update it tells me there is nothing avalable.
>
> Is this possible? I really do not like openSUSE 10.1, but I was hoping the
> problems I'm having with it would be straightened out by some updates. How
> do you update the free/download version?

OK, I've a bit late coming to the party.

Just installed SUSE 10.1 (Technically there is no distro called OpenSUSE
opensuse.org is the community build around SUSE Linux) on a Dell Latitude
D810 with no problems at all.

Actually did two installs. The first using the 35MB netinstall ISO which
worked very well and then reformatted and installed from the DVD.

SUSE installed perfectly and YAST did a major update including updating the
kernel also perfectly.

Everything on the laptop works including power management with CPU throttling,
both suspend to RAM and suspend to disk (either from the taskbar, function
keys on the keyboard or via the power button or lid switch - you choose) and
Intel wifi works out of the box.

The only things not setup are those that are patent encumbered such as DVD
playback. The December 2005 issue of Linux Magazine has the work around.

The only thing Ubuntu does better, IMHO, is set 3D acceleration on the ATI
card out of the box.

SUSE has always been one of the best thought out and most mature distros, easy
enough for newbies (YAST is great for managing the system) yet with real
depth and good documentation. Check out the Startup and Reference PDFs here.
[1] You get a true root shell (no sudo this, then sudo that) and useful
commandline tools like Midnight Commander.

KDE, I'm sorry GNOME, is the most productive desktop around. Filled with
little niceties like a search box on the main menu so you don't have to guess
where KMyMoney was just installed or that the "Image Editing" is really GIMP,
just type your search term in the box or use "/" to start a search.

And speaking of search, KDE now has desktop search based on Beagle. Hey, both
Miquel and Nat work for Novell so it's a natural!

Or how about a configurable taskbar clock. Add multiple time zones so you can
use the middle mouse button to see if it's a good time to call your friend in
Berlin.

And how can you say no to KDE developers like Celeste and Tina?[2] <g>

Ich bin verliebt!

Dennisk
[1] http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/docu/en/
[2] http://usability.kde.org/information/people.php