Broadcom wifi driver in Ubuntu (since kernel 2.6.17-rc2) [WAS: re: PLUG Lunix Installfest - 06/25/2006]

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Sat Aug 12 16:45:52 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 17:56 -0700, Richard Villa wrote:
> i updated to dapper and it recognizes the wireless
> card and gives me the option to activate it.  when i
> do, though, it never works.

Well, I don't know if you already have an answer to this -- it's been in
my "reply to" folder for quite a while...

Anyway, the reason for this is that you probably don't have the firmware
for the card.  It doesn't come down by default because Broadcomm doesn't
allow for redistribution.  If you look on the bcm43xx webpage they will
tell you how to get the firmware out of your Windows/MacOS drivers.  Or,
you can look for people that have already packaged it in Google.

	Sorry for the late reply,
		Ted