Minimal Firewall

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Fri Aug 4 15:18:41 MST 2006

Quoting Dale Farnsworth <dale at farnsworth.org>:

> In article <DE027611-89AC-40A1-AF3A-5D59EB6D708F at crackpot.org> you write:
>>
>> FYI : Linksys WRT45G routers are 39.99 at Fry's until August 8th.
>> I'm not sure if there are any significant differences between the
>> WRT54G and WRT54GL.  I guess 'L' == 'Linux'?  WRT54G is on the list
>> of supported hardware at openwrt.org, so that's good enough for me.
>
> There are many versions of the WRT54G.  Some are supported by
> openwrt.org and some are not.  The WRT54GL (which used to be called
> WRT54G) has 4MB Flash and 16MB RAM.  I believe the current WRT54G
> has 2MB Flash and 8MB RAM, which isn't enough to easily run Linux.
>
> -Dale Farnsworth

Ah.  I saw WRT54G and thought 'great'.  I checked the hardware list at
openwrt.org (same link Alan posted), and saw that model listed.  I'll
need to look at the specs a little closer to see which one I actually
bought.  It's still in the shrinkwrap, so if it's not quite right, it
should be easy to exchange.  I did see the WRT54GL sitting next to it
on the shelf.

Thanks for the tip.