amarok and icecast

Matt Mets matt.mets at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 00:46:10 MST 2006

The unprofessional way that I have been doing this to use the ices program
to capture the audio that is being played on the local computer and stream
it out.  This works well for what I use it for (streaming to a laptop
connected to a stereo in another room), but it has the disadvantage of also
streaming anything else that gets played on your computer.  Depending on how
much time you want to spend bothering with it, it might be possible to set
up a virtual device with alsa, which you can play your music from amarok (or
probably any music player), and then set ices up to capture audio from that,
which would leave you actual sound hardware alone.

Here is a quck diagram of what the setup looks like:

 ________                  ______      _________                   ________
|        | (alsa stream)  |      |    |         | (http stream)   |        |
| Amarok | -------------> | Ices | -> | Icecast | --------------> | client |
|________|                |______|    |_________|                 |________|

The music starts off being decoded by Amarok (or whatever player you are
using), then is sent uncompressed to the soundcard via alsa (or whichever
sound archetecture you are using).  Ices picks up this uncompressed data
available from alsa, re-encodes it using the settings you provided, and then
passes the compressed stream to Icecast, which then makes it into a fancy
stream or whatever it has to do to get clients to understand it.

The tutorial I used to get started was here:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Icecast_OGG_and_MP3_streaming

and after I got the icecast and ices configuration files right, i wrote a
little bash script to start the two programs and bring up the system.

Does this make any sense to you, and is it what you were looking for?

Regards,
Matt