How to install lilo to the MBR?

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Tue Aug 1 09:57:58 MST 2006

joe wrote:
> .
> While I appreciate all the suggestions that PLUG friends have
> offered, I am still stuck with no solution to the subject issue.
>
> So, I am going to begin preparing a recap, as concise as possible,
> the essential facts pertaining to this problem on a web page with
> ongoing updates and links to applicable exhibits until some solution
> can be found.

Good.

> To begin, I've placed a screen-capture jpg of a qtparted chart
> of my system's primary hard drive at this URL:
>
>     http://www.fixaim.com/temp/partitions.jpg

That is helpful.
As TMH mentioned, the Active flag is on hda5 looks suspicious.
What is contained on hda5?

> Since we do know that LILO was previously able to boot the hda6
> partition on which my main Linux system resides, I cannot understand
> why it would not be possible to reinstall that exact same LILO someplace
> where it can once again do the exact same thing that it had been doing
> successfully for months before simply booting Windows apparently blew
> it away yesterday morning.

Again, according to the documentation I'm reading (The Linux Cookbook),
the /boot directory (I presume of the "host" OS) must reside on a
*primary* partition. That leads me to believe that some other boot
loader (bootmagic, for instance) was handling the stage 1 processing,
and chaining to lilo for stage 2.

> Thanks again to all who have tried to offer help.
>
> joe at actionline.com -- 480-325-5055

I'll call you shortly after I do a little more research.

--
-Eric 'shubes'