OT: Suggestions for DSL and VOIP

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Wed Sep 28 11:14:40 MST 2005

The easiest way to get a firewall set up (if there isn't a proper (i.e. SPI) firewall in your DSL router), is to pick up a basic hardware firewall (such as a Netgear FR114P or WGR614 or a Linksys BEFVP41 or WRT54G).
Whatever firewall you end up with, make sure it has "Stateful Packet Inspection", also termed "SPI".
Many "firewall" routers are really just NAT routers (NAT is Network Address Translation, and all routers can do this), and provide no real defense.
Unless you have a spare machine handy to set up as a firewall, it's actually cheaper to just buy the hardware firewall, and you have the advantage of not needing to do much more than plug it in to get things running.

==Joseph++