GRUB Loading, Error 18

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 15:08:43 MST 2005

--- Bupkus <bupkus2 at cox.net> wrote:

> Well, I tried a different computer and after the initial/partial install
> (where you boot to the hard drive for the first time) after installing
> suse 9.3 I get the following:
>
> Grub Loading stage1.5
> GRUB loading, please wait
> Error 18
>

>From list of errors in grub info page:
18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
     This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block
     address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally
     happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for
     (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).

I never had this problem so never worried about it, but this is the reason
many people create a small partition for /boot, that resides near the front
of the disk.