Residential firewall appliance recommendation?

David Demland demland at cox.net
Sat Sep 24 20:36:32 MST 2005

Alan,

If you are looking for a wired solution then get the D-Link DI-604 broadband
router. This is a great router with a built in firewall that you can add
rules to. It also had some parent controls built in for web page filtering
and web site filtering. At Fry's, and Best Buy, it runs about $49.00.

If you need a wireless solution get the Linksys WRT54G. This has a firewall
built into it, and similar parent controls, like the DI-604. The advantage
to this router is that MAC filtering will filter only the wireless side of
the LAN not the wired side, which makes since. The D-Link wireless router,
the DI-624, applies MAC filtering to the whole internal LAN which just makes
no since and limits the environments that the router can be used in. This
router will run any where from about $60.00 to $73.00 at most stores. The
other advantages with this router is that, in many cases, signal level drop
very drastically in some environments and the Linksys wireless range
extender, WRE54G, works without a hitch in most of the installs I have used
it for.

I hope this helps.

David