Debian as a desktop system

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Sep 23 02:15:47 MST 2005

Am 22. Sep, 2005 schwätzte Joseph Sinclair so:

> I don't know about Hans' reasons, but here are my top 10:
> 1) It installs (debian often fails).

I think they must detect you at the keyboard and refuse to install just to
harass you :).

I do run into some problems, but usually nothing significant.

> 2) It works, reliably, on AMD64 (debian doesn't, yet).

Glad to hear Ubuntu's got it working.

> 3) It's pared down to 3 architectures, PPC, AMD64, and i686, rather than the 11 Debian tries to support, so updates are more frequent.
> 4) The Ubuntu team has committed to a 6-month release frequency, so the system is often more up-to-date.

Yes, forgot to mention that.

> 5) You get much of the advantage of using the unstable (sid) repositories with a lot more stability thanks to Ubuntu Q/A testing.
> 6) It's pared down to a reasonable set of applications (2 browsers, 2 email clients, a few games and accessories, 1 office suite, etc...) in the base install.

This is good for non-geeks, but the geeks can add universe, multiverse and
some other repositories and have access to oodles and oodles of packages.

> 7) It has access to nearly all of the debian packages to add more applications, should you need them.
> 8) The Ubuntu team has smoothed out the desktop experience and added polish in many areas.

Most definitely!

> 9) The Ubuntu tiered update repositories allow you to run a stable system and still get the latest security fixes easily.

Not sure what you mean hear that is different than what debian does.

ciao,

der.hans

> 10) You can get a CD of the latest version free by just asking for it, no need for dial-up users to spend a week downloading the ISO.
> 11) Did I mention it works reliably on AMD64?
>
> ==Joseph++
>
> Lynn David Newton wrote:
> >   > At this point, however, I'd recommend using Ubuntu for desktop.
> >   > Ubuntu is strongly debian-based, but provides a better workstation
> >   > experience.
> >
> > What specifically makes it so in your experience?
> >
> > (Never seen Ubuntu)

#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  "This country has nothing to fear from the crooked man who fails. We put
#  him in jail. It is the crooked man who succeeds who is a threat to this
#  country." -- Theodore Roosevelt, Memphis, TN, 25Oct1905