verifying files

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 17 14:02:22 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 01:37 +0000, Alan Dayley wrote:
> * Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote on 9/17/05 12:59:
> > I'm thinking that I don't entirely trust what I 'exported' from my iPod
> > and want to check it against the music data from my Windows
> >
> > What I want to compare is the entirety of the music data - though the
> > file names and folder names are different, the data within them should
> > be entirely unchanged.
>
> I see the different file aned directory names as a difficulty here.  Automated tools won't know what to compare if the names are different.
>
> > so I thought I could md5sum a directory tree but it only works on
> > files. ;-(
>
> You could tar or zip the tree to checksum one file but the sums will be different because of the name changes.
---
which of course means that it would be pointless to do this
---

> > The data amount should be slightly over 3 Gb in both cases...
> >
> > [root at srv1 home]# du -s /home/music
> > 18759612        /home/music
> >
> > [root at srv1 home]# du -s /home/samba/profiles/craig/My\ Documents/My\
> > Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music
> >
> > 18776304        /home/samba/profiles/craig/My Documents/My
> > Music/iTunes/iTunes Music
> >
> > Not the same ;-(
>
> This is very likely because of filesytem differences as much as anything else.
----
they are both on the same ext3 filesystem, the method which they arrived
there are decidedly different which is the reason that I wish to compare
them. One set was put there by Windows roaming profile (no small task),
the other set exported from my ipod to an nfs mount via gtkpod
----

> > probably indicates a problem
> >
> > Is there some absolute way to computer a checksum on a directory tree to
> > compare the binary contents?
>
> I don't know a simple solution to your dilema.  Someone better with scripting might have something.
----
I don't know if it's a scripting issue or a knowledge of tools issue.

Craig

believed to be clean.