jobs & salaries

June Tate june at theonelab.com
Fri Sep 16 09:39:18 MST 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 06:27:52PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> And don't even TRY to compare the
> VS debugger with gdb.  gdb may be the most powerful debugger under
> Unix, but it comes across as a "hobby" debugger compared to the VS
> debugger.  gdb is so unreliable and unintuitive to use that I will
> nearly always prefer 'printf' style debugging under Linux rather than
> fighting with gdb.  The VS debugger is rock-solid reliable and
> everything makes perfect sense when using it.

Perhaps, but are you comparing the UI to UI experience, or the
debugging engine? I've been using GDB for nearly a year now through
a companion program called DDD that is bar none the best debugging
environment I've found (even compared to VS). GDB provides extremely
powerful and flexible debugging -- but it's default text UI really
sucks. Try giving one of it's frontends like DDD a try -- once I did I
never looked back.

June Tate * http://www.theonelab.com * june at theonelab.com