xfce

Matt Mets matt.mets at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 16:34:37 MST 2005

Hi Josh,

I have been using XFCE as my desktop/WM for the past 1.5 years, and
have been very satisfied with it.  I did dump the included file
manager (XFFM) in favor of Rox, and had to resort to some external
programs to get features that I was looking for (media keys support,
setting numlock on boot).  I think its an excellent window manager
that is pretty lightweight (it works well on my P3 800 laptop as well
as my beefier desktop), but still looks nice and is pretty fast.  I
run Gentoo so I cant comment on other installation methods, but there
is a very nice graphical installer available from xfce.org if your
distro doesn't provide an up-to-date package.

-Matt