apt confusion

Ben Browning plug at emptiedout.com
Thu Sep 15 14:37:26 MST 2005

Alex Dean wrote:
> Yes, that helps a great deal!  I have heard about 'virtual packages' and
> tripped across various notices about them in messing around with this
> box.  I'll try to find more information about them.
>
> I don't think I could have ever managed a qMail install without 'Life
> With Qmail'.  It was still a multi-day task, as I'd never built anything
> from source before, but in the end it works.  That was on a Redhat
> system, and now I want to give the same process a shot on Debian.
> Hopefully it will go quicker the second time around.

If you want a good book, check out "Qmail Handbook" by Dave Sill- he's
the guy that wrote life with qmail  :)

> On another note : I had to install courier-imap to provide IMAP and
> webmail.  That package also comes with a pop server, as well as pops and
> imaps servers.  Anyone out there have a preference between the courier
> pop or qmail-pop3?  I'm using courier right now just for the sake of
> consistency.

Glad to help :)

I use qmail-pop3d because I have it tied to my checkpassword (which in
my environment contains Much Mojo). courier is my imap server though and
the pop server gets good reviews with Maildirs.

~Ben

---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.
For you, it would just be a really long boast."
	-Tara
http://www.emptiedout.com