Favorite Dist (was Silent list?)

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 09:57:17 MST 2005

I'm the opposite.  50% or more of what I do with the
computer is "fiddling".  Besides what I have
installed, I've also messed with slackware and lfs,
getting everything set up to where it was "usable" at
least.

There's always something new to learn.  Two of my old
habits cause everything to break with FC4.  I'm in the
habit of getting the latest vanilla kernel and
compiling that as one of the first steps after
installation, and I normally skip the initrd.  The
problems I saw with FC4 were first, if you don't use
the initrd in boot, the devices don't get set up (udev
doesn't get to run), and kernel panics when it can't
open console.  The second problem was the SELINUX
that's enabled.  Seems it has a problem if you switch
kernels back and forth (I suspect this is a
configuration issue, but I haven't had time to
investigate yet).