Fema and Plug

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Sep 7 10:41:26 MST 2005

Kurt Wolf said:
> I think the first question will be, "Can we assist FEMA?".  Followed by,
> "What will FEMA let us do?".  Once those two questions are answered, we
> can move onto, "What resources do we have?"  I recommend that someone be
> designated as the FEMA liaison to be the point person.  After that,
> let's get all interested parties in one room and figure out the
> direction we want to head and how.

You are correct.

However, if I may make a comment/suggestion for the group.

An excellent resource would be a beefy server and a bunch of older
computers to boot as diskless thin-clients on the server.  This would live
in a PLUGgers closet/room/business until needed.  Then, transport it to
the location, plug it in and boot up.

This would be useful for:
- Emergency network access in the community as in the current situation.
- A demo system at trade shows, etc.
- A training/demo for Linux meetings or training classes.
- InstallFest showcase.
- Conference registration.
- Etc.

So, from where I stand, even if FEMA or whoever does not need us this
time, having such a system ready to go at any time would be a huge asset
to the group.  And, the next time an emergency situation comes up we could
say "We have a 20 workstation network ready.  Where do you want it?"

Alan