top posting is better

Kevin Brown kevin_brown at qwest.net
Wed Oct 26 22:12:16 MST 2005

> ok, here's a hot button issue: do you have any idea how hard it is
> for the blind to sift through all that quoted material trying to hunt
> down responses? Even with a good screen reader package, its
> frustrating (there are more than a few of us on this 9and other)
> list(s).  Personally, I find it loads easier when folks top post (but
> then, that is my opinion).

Maybe Screen readers could be taught to find the new data by looking for
keys in the text, much as a normal sighted user does (e.g. different
color, blank lines, text without non-alphanumeric lead characters[such
as >]).

> I know that responses inside quoted is pretty much the accepted norm,
> but then, it is far easier for you to read that way than it is for
> me.

Inserting inline is good because it more easily allows parts of a
conversation to fit together.

What happens if someone asks a bunch of questions all in one paragraph?
  If you break up that paragraph to respond to them, then it is more
obvious which answer belongs to which question.  Especially if they are
mostly yes/no questions.

I mean, which looks better to you: (Q == Question)

QQQQQQQQQQ
yes, no, yes, yes, no, no, yes....

yes
no
yes
yes

> just my thought.

And that is the problem.  What works for some doesn't work for all.
That doesn't make it wrong though, heheh.

So, to sum up all this hoohah

top posters are lazy
bottom posters are too
inliners trim the fluff most often
and no one likes anyone elses way of doing things