gentoo

Chip33AZ at netscape.net Chip33AZ at netscape.net
Wed Oct 26 16:18:46 MST 2005

I use Gentoo on my box at home, as well as Ubuntu.

I haven't tried the RR4 distro, but have tried VidaLinux and it works well as a installation for Gentoo.  It uses the Redhat installer and makes the install quick and easy.

Lately, I've been really impressed with ArchLinux.  The installation took 15 minutes on a slow PII300 and it runs extremely fast.  All of the software I use is in their pacman directory (MythTV, Mplayer with the plug-ins, etc).  I would highly recommend this.

Dan Lund <situationalawareness at gmail.com> wrote:

>Gentoo uses it's own package management system called portage, and
>it's source-based.  You download sources through it's package
>management system, compile the packages, and manage compilation flags
>and package storage through a centralized /ec/make.conf file.
>
>I've been using it for years now, I like it.
>
>not sure about the livedvd though.. I only use gentoo distributed live cds.
>
>--Dan

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.