(WAY!) Off-topic

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 25 23:22:17 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 23:10 -0700, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> As long as those two groups continue to buy into the MS mindset, MS retains their monopoly.  Once either one of those groups changes direction, MS is in a world of trouble, because the IT buyers are the MS cash cow, and the OEM's drive the home market; home users just buy whatever's pre-installed, I've quietly pre-installed Linux on some home users' machines lately, and they've barely even noticed until something unusual (one IE-only website, one wireless WPA, one tried a kids game) didn't work, and that's getting less common.  Even when they did realize they aren't running Windows, the most I've heard is "Can I still work with my documents", once they find out the answer to that is yes, they have all, so far, been just fine with Linux.  About the only areas where Linux still needs some
> help is Wireless support on laptops (minimal WPA support), some peripherals, and the big commercial games, and these don't matter much to a majority of home users.  Of the home users I know, I'd say 90% run nothing but OO.o type applications, web browsing, and email.
----
agreed - as more of these things improve, more desktop users will move
to Linux and conversely, as more desktop users convert to Linux, more of
these things will be resolved for a variety of reasons, the least of
which being the manufacturers will become more supportive/cooperative
with Linux developers.
----

> P.S. sorry for roaming a bit far on the last paragraph, but it's good to note how little difference there is between Linux and Windows for most home users.
----
agreed - oddly enough, it's the Macintosh user interface that is the
most confusing to users.
----
> Also, Did anyone else notice that Adtron (the host for devel meetings) got a mention on INQ (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27215)?
----