Has anyone ever seen this problem?

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Fri Oct 21 22:48:25 MST 2005

der.hans wrote:

> Am 21. Oct, 2005 schwätzte JD Austin so:
>
>> I have a new client that has a weird problem with their linux file
>> server.
>> It is rebooting without warning several times a day.
>

> You might want to start grabbing system info to see what's going on prior
> to the shutdowns.

I did that.. absolutely nothing :(  There are --MARK entries but nothing
that would give away why it is rebooting.

> I have a script called sys_stats.sh you could look at. I haven't in a
> long
> time, so it might be out of date...

Nice script!  I was doing some of that already.

> https://www.LuftHans.com/unix/
>
> My script doesn't capture temperature info. gkrellm will do that for you.
> I think it has a 'save the info' option.

Looks like gkrellm is a gnome app - machine isnt running X except over vnc.
There are kernel modules to monitor temperature.. will see if I can get
them installed remotely.

> I believe there's a debian package that has tools for stuff like my
> sys_stats script. Probably better than my script, but I didn't see the
> package with a quick search.
>
> Turn up the syslog output and capture at the lowest level, debug.
>
> Is there anything else plugged in to that UPS?

There are two other computers that are normally off.  That was my first
guess that the UPS was having too much power drawn from it.  I had them
remove the UPS from the equation and the problem persisted.

> When plugged in to the wall was the UPS unplugged?

Yes.

> Causes I can think of:
>
> not enough juice ( the 500 W power supply should take care of that )
> overheating ( the extra fans should help, but maybe cpu fan is on funny )
> buggy mboard or ram ( install one of the memtest packages and test )
> buggy UPS
> someone keeps rebooting it ( leave the keyboard there, but unattached )

Ah.. Thats a good point about the CPU fan.
Been trying memtest, passed so far.  Good suggestion.

> The last one should be causing syslog output.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

Thanks for your help!

JD