plug] make vs. imake?

Robert N. Eaton moth28 at cox.net
Fri Oct 14 14:48:33 MST 2005

R P Herrold wrote:

> It is almost inconceivable that gnu make not available for any FOSS
> platform and distribution, as 'make' is one of the basic tools

That's what I thought. too. Never-the-less, Kubuntu installs without
this and several other tools. The Idea, as I understand it, is to use
only .deb packages.  This is frustrating, since Kynaptic (Kubuntu's
version of Synaptic) doesn't allow nearly as many programs to be
downloaded as Synaptic.

I was advised (by someone more knowledgeable than I) to download
Synaptic, along with the necessary Gnome files, and use that instead.
That way I can install the .deb version of Firefox, rather than
attempting to install from a tarball. It was implied that firefox.tar.gz
doesn't play well with thunderbird.deb, and tends to hose Kubuntu. (A
process I would rather go through for myself: it's so much more
rewarding ;-))

While I had hoped that Ubuntu/Kubuntu was the be-all and end-all, they
do seem to throw stumbling blocks under my feet. (And I tend to pick
myself up each time, and rush on, as if nothing had happened. If I can
curb this tendency, perhaps I may learn enough to feel more comfortable
with Linux.)

Bob Eaton