The $100 laptop

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Mon Oct 10 14:20:27 MST 2005

Why develop software for a small segment of the PC market that has no money when you can develop for the 650 million PC systems owned by people with disposable income, and still have that same software run on the smaller segment?  You're still assuming this will become a mass-market system.  It will not.
The days of developing software for a small subset of the PC market are pretty much over.  There are still a very few applications where it makes sense, but I don't believe this system will ever be used by people who could afford that type of vertical market app.

BTW, I don't think they'll have 150 million, the developers seemed to be targeting about 1% that number, since even under ideal conditions their target market can only afford roughly 1 system per 500 population.

P.S. These systems aren't to give "everyone" a computer, they're to make sure that everyone has "access" to a computer, by making shareable systems available to the extremely poor (< $365 annual income) through entrepreneurial programs.