computer forensics question

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sun Oct 9 05:38:18 MST 2005

Kenneth wrote:

>If it absolutely has to be gone, I would never trust writing over it (even
>multiple times).  I would disassemble it, take the platters out, and sand all
>the metal off :)

I've read somewhere, a while ago, that someone had a procedure where
they dissassembled the drive and used special equipment to read latent
ghost images of previously written data. I don't have any references at all.

I also read about someone with a program to overwrite data severeal
times, but not writing just. Rather, they wrote patterns of normally
occuring data files. Supposedly this made it *very* difficult to extract
the desired data. This is the difference between hiding a conversation
with static sound vs. hiding a conversation with several other
conversations (and *that* technology exists too).

--
Darrin Chandler
dwchandler at stilyagin.com
http://www.stilyagin.com/