The $100 laptop

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 12:57:21 MST 2005

In a message dated 10/8/2005 12:49:00 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
unixprgrmr01 at netscape.net writes:

>The solution is simple... "plug &play"?!?!? modular upgrade parts
>consistent with the same inexpensive pricing as the original. If well
>designed ( and it looks like it IS!) this will be a matter of course.
>Lynn

-Modularity costs extra.
-It may add problems (connectors get damaged or dirty or corroded in the
wrong environment, the modules can be popped out and-or stolen leaving the
customer unable to fix it himself)
-It still eliminates the "level platform".  Wether I'm spending $20 for the
upgrade or $100 for a full new machine, there's now two types of $100 lappie
out there, and that means you can't make nearly as many assumptions on software.

Even a nonperformance change can have impact.

Boost runtime on a charge from 30 minutes to 50, and apps hard-coded to
assume a 30 minute battery life and save at 25 minutes will be in the middle of a
save cycle when the new machine shuts off.