Linux Live CD to the Rescue . . . Somewhat

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Thu Oct 6 23:59:38 MST 2005

A not too computer savvy friend called today--her Windows box wouldn't
boot beyond scandisk--where it stopped with a permanent disk errors
message. I booted from first Ubuntu, them Simply Mepis Live CDs. Both
hung at about the point where they should have brought up the GUI login
screen. Tried again with Mepis, guessing that appending a "1" to the
boot line would boot it into single user mode and avoid the endless
loop. It worked, but working with tiny blue letters on a black
background was not my idea of fun. (Next time I start with Knoppix.)
After much searching, we found the most critical files and copied them
to floppies. So, partial success!  Friend was VERY glad to save those
files!!

Anybody have similar experiences with live CDs hanging due to partially
bad disk and/or a good explanation? I assume it was the auto detect,
check, and mount that was the problem, but . . .

-mj-